Wednesday 13 May 2015, 8.30am-9.30am
Chapter Meeting Room 2 (NB: further info at bottom of agenda)
Chair: Andy Eagle
The purpose of What Next?
BROAD AIM: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
GUIDING STAR: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
WN? Cardiff site (agendas, members, etc.): http://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
WN? UK movement website: www.whatnextculture.org
Cardiff: www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and #wn2014 #wnculture
UK: www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wn2014 #wnculture
1. Welcome and Introductions
- BBC Get Creative
- Creative Learning plan
- What Next? digest including information from other WN? chapters
- Cultural Learning Alliance article on What Next?
3. Reflection on visit from Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism, Ken Skates
4. Participation – follow-up discussion from last week
5. The Wales We Want: Preparations for the forthcoming Well-being of Future Generations (WFG) Act – follow-up discussion from last week
6. Follow-up on invitations to future WN? – S4C/ACW partnership, BBC Wales, WN? centrally, Cardiff City Council
Information on venue:
Chapter will be hosting What Next? until 20 May.
Meeting Room 2 is on the first floor and will be signposted.
There is bike parking at the front of the building and a car park at the rear. Bus numbers 17 + 18 buses direct to Chapter are every 5 minutes from Cardiff Central. There is a car park at the rear of the building and two Cardiff Council car parks in walking distance which are free for the first two hours. More info here: http://www.chapter.org/maps-directions
Refreshments won’t be provided but there is a large café on the ground floor.
The Wales We Want: Preparations for the forthcoming Well-being of Future Generations (WFG) Act (1-28 May)
RSA Wales: The Value of Creativity – Design Commission for Wales, Cardiff (Tuesday 12 May 2015 at 18:00) https://www.thersa.org/events/fellowship-events/2015/5/rsa-wales-the-value-of-creativity—may-12/
ACW & Academi Wales event: “Margaret Wheatley: Who do we choose to be for this time?” (The Old Hall, University of Wales Trinity Saint David, Lampeter Campus, Ceredigion SA48 7ED – Friday 26 June 12.45pm-4.30pm) http://www.artscouncilofwales.org.uk/87538
Making Culture Work “Self-evaluation events in London, Swindon or Manchester”
Matthew Taylor writes about the RSA/Arts Council England event ‘Toward A New Contract for Arts and Culture’, about the potential for developing a Compact between Government and the Arts: https://www.thersa.org/discover/publications-and-articles/matthew-taylor-blog/2015/04/an-arts-compact-has-a-future/
Creative Learning Through the Arts plan
From Welsh Government
- The plan: http://gov.wales/docs/dcells/publications/150302-creative-learning-through-the-arts.pdf
- The timeline: http://gov.wales/docs/dcells/publications/150302-creative-learning-through-the-arts-timeline.pdf
- Statement: http://gov.wales/topics/educationandskills/publications/guidance/creative-learning-through-the-arts/?lang=en
- And here: http://gov.wales/newsroom/educationandskills/2015/150303creativelearningarts/?lang=en
From Arts Council of Wales
- Press release/ statement: http://artswales.org.uk/85513
- Microsite: http://www.artscouncilofwales.org.uk/what-we-do/creative-learning
- FAQ: http://www.artscouncilofwales.org.uk/what-we-do/creative-learning/faqs-for-arts-organisations-and-practitioners
Donaldson curriculum review
- The full report, Successful Futures, is here:
- The WG statement in response is here:
- Great Debate info is here:
- One response, by Earlyarts, is here:
- A quick guide to the Successful Futures consultation questionnaire is available from Ceri Black – email@example.com