What Next? Cardiff
When: Wednesday 13 September, 8:30 – 9.30am
Where: Arts Council of Wales, Bute Place, Cardiff. The meeting will be held in the Boardroom.
Please go to the reception and you will be directed from there. Tea and Coffee will be available.
Chair: David Alston
The purpose of What Next?
Broad aim: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
Guiding star: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
What Next? website and social media
· What Next? Cardiff website (agendas, members etc) https://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
· What Next? UK movement website: http://www.whatnextculture.org
· What Next? Twitter: Cardiff: http://www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and
#wnculture UK: http://www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wnculture
Please note: We want everyone to feel free to ask questions and share their thoughts at What Next? meetings without worrying that they’ll be quoted elsewhere or out of context. It’s generally accepted that no-one reports on the meetings, tweets anything personal or identifiable, or shares any content without checking first with the contributor.
- Welcome and introductions
- Updates from last week (and to be carried over if not all done this week):
– Cardiff Survey – pls do this ASAP: https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=150218420744
- Music Endowment for Wales – David Alston
- Inquiry into Non-public funding of the arts – David Alston
- Future What Next? speakers/topics
· National Eisteddfod
· Independent review of S4C
· Lottery Funding – Nick Capaldi
· Arts and Health – Sally Lewis
· Update and plans for Get Creative 17-25 March 2018 – Lisa Matthews
• Arts Council of Wales Research update – Sandra Hicks and Chris Batsford
· Creative Learning For the Arts update – Sian James
- Invited: Dave Horton ACE on Communities First legacy/ in Sept when at ACW (to be
pencilled in by ACW when handed over from this block)
- Suggestion: St Fagans National Museum of History Visit
· Suggestion: UK wide approach from WN? re Camelot bidding to run National Lottery, other potential bidders, %s from scratch cards vs main draw (talk to Kevin Brennan MP?)
· Suggestion: session re support for and role of ACW, esp in context of Lottery reduction, WG priorities, etc
· Suggestion: Bethan Jenkins AM – in her role as chair of the Culture, Welsh Language and Communications Committee – with Lizzie Crump, Creative Learning Alliance
· Suggestion: ACW Research team – Cardiff data and patterns of investment
· Suggestion: Carl Sargeant – Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children
· Suggestion: Industrial strategy
· Suggestion: Coun Huw Thomas, Leader of Cardiff Council
- Any other business
Future What Next? meetings
· 6 September – 11 October, Arts Council Wales
· 18 October – 22 November, Welsh National Opera
· 29 November – 20 December, National Theatre Wales
· 10 Jan – 14 Feb 2018, Chapter
· 21 Feb – 28 Mar 2018, British Council Wales