** This is the last WN? mtg of 2014. Have a happy Christmas and a peaceful new year when it comes. See you on Wed 7 Jan 8.30am! **
Wednesday 17 December, 8.30am-9.30am
Room 0.05, Bute Building, Cardiff University (NB: further info at bottom of agenda)
Chair: Jessica Cohen
With thanks to Sara Pepper and Cardiff University for support with the meeting space
The purpose of What Next?
BROAD AIM: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
GUIDING STAR: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
WN? Cardiff site (agendas, members, etc): http://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
WN? UK movement website: www.whatnextculture.org
Cardiff: www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and #wn2014
UK: www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wn2014
- Welcome & introductions
- WN? updates
– feedback on Plaid Cymru roundtable last week
– Cardiff Council budget consultation:
The City of Cardiff Council is facing a £124 million budget shortfall over the next 3 years and has opened its consultation on budget proposals for 2015/16. This consultation will run until midday Monday 12th January 2015. You can find all the information about the budget proposals on http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/budget and access the online questionnaire at http://www.surveys.cardiff.gov.uk/budget. To help spread the message about the difficult financial position we are facing, we have also produced a short video on the £124m budget challenge. If you are interested in having your say on these proposals you can get involved in the following ways:
· Complete the online questionnaire
· Contribute to the online debate on social media using the hashtag #cdfbudget
If you have any queries about the budget consultation process, please get in touch Budget@cardiff.gov.uk
– Chris Bryant now shadow minister for the arts – http://www.chris-bryant.co.uk/ – anyone know him/ invite him to speak or join us?
– BBC ‘Get Creative’/ year of culture update
– if needed, Senedd paper update
– How to host a hustings – see attached and link: http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/105946/sp-hustings-rp-npc-ca.pdf
– The Wales We Want – sign up to be a Futures Champion: http://thewaleswewant.co.uk/get-involved/become-futures-champion They will be joining us as a speaker in the new year
– Autumn Statement:
The government will also consult on introducing a new orchestra tax relief in April 2016.
– ACW publish Inspire strategy:
- Coming weeks/ nextsix weekblock
Chair – January: Emma Evans
Xmas/ NY break, and first mtg back in 2015 is:
7 Jan – networking/ updates: short one-to-ones or update whole group on their upcoming plans, priorities, etc for 2015
14 Jan – speaker/ topic/ format
21 Jan – speaker/ topic/ format
28 Jan – The Wales We Want/ speaker: Rhodri Thomas
Information on venue:
This will be our new regular space until the end of the year.
The room is to the left and down the stairs when you walk into the building.
There is bike parking next to the building and car parking (paid for) in front of the building. Bus stop also opposite Bute Building.
Refreshments won’t be provided, but there is a coffee shop as well as food and drink machines in the foyer.
More info re: access, transport, catering and coffee facilities etc here: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/estat/accessibilityinformation/cathayscampus/butebuilding/buteaccess.html
Many thanks to Sara Pepper and Cardiff University for this support.