Wednesday 17 June 2015, 8.30am-9.30am
National Theatre Wales (NB: further info at bottom of agenda)
Chair: Michelle Carwardine-Palmer
The purpose of What Next?
BROAD AIM: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
GUIDING STAR: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
WN? Cardiff site (agendas, members, etc.): http://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
WN? UK movement website: www.whatnextculture.org
Cardiff: www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and #wn2015 #wnculture
UK: www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wn2014 #wnculture
1. Welcome and Introductions
- BBC Get Creative: Ideas for the finale and any additional Wales-focussed events.
- The Culture Diary: theculturediary.com
- Tidal Lagoon Cardiff: There is a private event on 10th July to view the scale of the project. David Evans, Head of Production, National Theatre Wales, will be attending and will report back. An invitation has been extended to Tidal Lagoon to join the What Next? in the future – TBC
- Letter from the Conservatives – call for manifesto input. Please see letter here.
- What Next? Young Vic chapter’s Letter to the Treasury. Please see letter here.
3. Cultural Manifestos
PLEASE NOTE FUTURE HOST VENUES:
- BBC NOW 8 July – 29 July
** August break **
- WNO 9 Sept – 14 Oct
- Sherman Cymru 21 Oct – 25 Nov
- Creative Economy, Cardiff University 2 Dec – 16 Dec
Information on venue:
National Theatre Wales will be hosting What Next? through to the 1st July.
Address: 30 Castle Arcade, Cardiff, CF10 1BW. The arcade is accessible via St Mary and Castle Streets. Please head straight up the stairs upon arrival.
There is ample bicycle parking on Castle Street, right opposite the entrance to the castle, outside the Welsh Crafts shop.
It is approximately a brisk 5-minute walk from Cardiff Central Station.
The closest car park is Cardiff Westgate Street (http://www.ncp.co.uk/find-a-car-park/car-parks/cardiff-westgate-street/) – a 1-2 hour tariff is £6.50.
We also have a range of bicycles for use by staff and friends of NTW. If it would help you to borrow a bike for travel to and from What Next? please just speak to Michaela or Michelle.
Refreshments will not be provided, however Torre Coffee, at 3 Castle Street (one door down from the arcade towards St Mary’s Street) opens at 8am.
(In true NTW style there may occasionally be CAKE).
- ACW & Academi Wales event: “Margaret Wheatley: Who do we choose to be for this time?” (The Old Hall, University of Wales Trinity Saint David, Lampeter Campus, Ceredigion SA48 7ED – Friday 26 June 12.45pm-4.30pm) http://www.artscouncilofwales.org.uk/87538
- 2 July: Breaking out of the Box 2: An event bringing together theatres, arts centres, performers, producers, companies and other creative professionals working across the performing arts to discuss barriers to access and diversity. We will specifically be focusing on D/deaf and Hard of Hearing performers and audiences. For more information and to book click here.
- 24-Hour Culture Project – Please see documents here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7XNgcLXw2ntLTBfdF9EZTVvMGc&usp=sharing
- We have recently welcomed Hannah from Film Hub Wales to What Next? For more information about Film Hub Wales, their objectives, membership and partnership support opportunities, view their info booklet here.
- New Culture & Poverty document: http://gov.wales/topics/cultureandsport/tackling-poverty-through-culture/?skip=1&lang=en