What Next? Cardiff
When: Wednesday 18 October, 8:30 – 9.30am
Where: Chorus room, Welsh National Opera, Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff. Please go to the Wales Millennium Centre Stage door reception and you will be directed from there. Please note that closed-toe shoes with a sensible heel must be worn at all times on Scenery Street, working within the theatre environment, on stage and in rehearsal rooms. Tea and Coffee will be available.
Chair: Leonora Thomson
The purpose of What Next?
Broad aim: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
Guiding star: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
What Next? website and social media
- What Next? Cardiff website (agendas, members etc) https://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
- What Next? UK movement website: http://www.whatnextculture.org
- What Next? Twitter: Cardiff: http://www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and #wnculture UK: http://www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wnculture
Please note: We want everyone to feel free to ask questions and share their thoughts at What Next? meetings without worrying that they’ll be quoted elsewhere or out of context. It’s generally accepted that no-one reports on the meetings, tweets anything personal or identifiable, or shares any content without checking first with the contributor.
- Welcome and introductions
- Independent Review of S4C – consultation response
- Valleys / Cardiff WN Meeting : 28 November @ Pontypridd update
4.Future What Next? speakers/topics
- Discussion on new joint Masters in Critical Heritage – Bella Dicks, National Museum of Wales and Jenny Kidd, Schools of Journalism, Cardiff Uni
- Creative Learning Through the Arts discussions – Sian James and Diane Hebb
- Arts and Health – Sally Lewis
- Suggestion: St Fagans National Museum of History Visit
- Suggestion: UK wide approach from WN? re Camelot bidding to run National Lottery, other potential bidders, %s from scratch cards vs main draw (talk to Kevin Brennan MP?)
- Suggestion: Bethan Jenkins AM – in her role as chair of the Culture, Welsh Language and Communications Committee
- Suggestion: Lizzie Crump, Creative Learning Alliance
- Suggestion: poss engagement with current inquiry into music education by Culture, Welsh Language and Comms Cttee
- Suggestion: Carl Sargeant AM – Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children
- Suggestion: Industrial strategy
- Suggestion: Councillor Huw Thomas, Leader of Cardiff Council
- Suggestion: OECD Evaluation
- Any other business
Future What Next? meetings
- 18 October – 22 November, Welsh National Opera
- 29 November – 20 December, National Theatre Wales
- 10 Jan – 14 Feb 2018, Chapter
- 21 Feb – 28 Mar 2018, British Council Wales