What Next? Cardiff
When: Wednesday 25 May 2016, 8.30am – 9.30am
Chair: Laura Drane
Where: Chapter, Market Road, Cardiff CF5 1QE – in the theatre foyer upstairs/ first floor
The building will be open from 8.15am. Tea and coffee will be provided and the cafe will be open.
Getting there: http://www.chapter.org/maps-directions There are bike racks available at the front of the building. And parking at the rear and on surrounding streets. Buses run to Cowbridge Road East.
- Welcome and introductions
- Since last week
- Any reflections on meeting/ content, and other news or reports from events (eg WG minister for culture is Ken Skates)
- Updates from Working Groups
- 24 Hour Culture Survey
- Lead: Paul Kaynes. £3000 pledged already, freelancer needed. Probably happen July or Oct.
- European Referendum
- Leads: Geraint Talfan Davies, Ruth Garnault, Kate Strudwick, Sarah Tanburn, Alison Woods, Yvette Vaughan Jones
- Any FAQs for Zelie/ WAI? – they are planning to write some info/ guidance as per ACE
- For info on issues, also see: http://www.artsprofessional.co.uk/magazine/eu-referendum
- Cardiff: Cultural Conversation
- Sharing thoughts to date/ action plan/ any other update from lead: Laura Drane
- Publics and audiences – our focus for the next four weeks… See WN? aim and guiding star below
Pick one or two of these podcasts, animations, blog posts, articles and reports…
- Gulbenkian inquiry into civic role of arts organisations (inc blogs by Stella Duffy, David Jubb) and on Twitter: @civicrolearts #civicrolearts
- AHRC Cultural Value project: exec summary (5 pages), animation (3 mins), podcast (6 mins)
- IETM Valuing The Arts (10 pages)
- Why Cities Should Stop Building Museums and Focus on Festivals (short article)
- From The Margins (blog post)
- Democratising the arts (short article)
- DCMS Taking Part longitudinal survey (short article)
- IDEAS GENERATION – what ways could we better engage with our audiences and publics?
- Any Other Business
- ACW bursaries for Clore short course and emerging leaders courses: http://www.cloreleadership.org/page.aspx?p=96 (deadline 23 June, 12 noon)
- Creative Industries Federation event in Cardiff – at Cardiff Met/ CSAD, Wed 25th May/ tonight
- Future What Next? Meetings
29 June till 27 July – Michael Garvey at BBC NOW
AUGUST – no meetings
7 Sept till 12 Oct – CSAD/ Cardiff Met at Western Ave
19 Oct till 23 Nov (TBC – A&BC, NMW, British Council?)
30 Nov till 21 Dec – WNO
4 Jan till 8 Feb (TBC – A&BC, NMW, British Council?)
15 Feb till 22 March (TBC – A&BC, NMW, British Council?)
The purpose of What Next?
Broad aim: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
Guiding star: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
What Next? Cardiff website (agendas, members etc): http://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
What Next? UK movement website: www.whatnextculture.org
What Next? Twitter:
Cardiff: www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and #wnculture
UK: www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wnculture
Please note: We want everyone to feel free to ask questions and share their thoughts at What Next? meetings without worrying that they’ll be quoted elsewhere or out of context. It’s generally accepted that no-one reports on the meetings, tweets anything personal or identifiable, or shares any content without checking first with the contributor.