What Next? Cardiff
When: Wednesday 28 February, 8:30 – 9.30am
Where: British Council Wales will be hosting What Next? From the 21st February to the 28th March.
British Council Wales
Floor 2, 1 Kingsway
There is dedicated cycle racks in the basement parking if required.
Refreshements will be provided.
Chair : Rebecca Gould
The purpose of What Next?
Broad aim: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
Guiding star: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
What Next? website and social media
- What Next? Cardiff website (agendas, members etc) https://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
- What Next? UK movement website: http://www.whatnextculture.org
- What Next? Twitter: Cardiff: http://www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and #wnculture UK: http://www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wnculture
Please note: We want everyone to feel free to ask questions and share their thoughts at What Next? meetings without worrying that they’ll be quoted elsewhere or out of context. It’s generally accepted that no-one reports on the meetings, tweets anything personal or identifiable, or shares any content without checking first with the contributor.
- Welcome and introductions
- Systematic Inequality in the arts – continued discussion from last week, WN response
- Soft Power Symposium – brief and update from Head of Education and Rebecca Gould
- Any Other Business
- Gentle/Radical Imagination Forum – a forum to explore the radical imagination, and how it might inform a more inclusive, just and equitable cultural sector. 4th March 3-7pm at Riverside Warehouse, 56 Machen Place, Riverside. Places are free but you need to book firstname.lastname@example.org
- WN? Chapter Chairs 2018 Quarterly Meetings
- Friday 16 March, 12 – 3pm – can anyone attend this to represent Cardiff?
- Monday 25 June, 12 – 3pm
- Tuesday 18 September, 12 – 3pm
- Monday 10 December, 12 – 5pm
Location TBC (Central London)
- Cer i Greu/Get Creative – 17 – 25 March 2018
Please get involved and help spread the message. You can register your event here on the Get Creative website www.getcreative.wales
- BBC Digital Cities Week Cardiff – 26 Feb – 1 March 2018 – link to info:
- Links to inform further discussion/compilation of ‘shopping list’ of major events Wales could host:
Major Events Unit guidance and assessment criteria
Visit Wales Tourism Strategy
Visit Wales’ ‘Thematic’ Years
- CONFIRMED: Dafydd Elis-Thomas AM, Minister for Culture (Weds 21st March at British Council)
- CONFIRMED: John Rostron and Elena Schmitz discuss SHOWCASING (7th March at British Council)
- Suggestion: Bethan Jenkins AM – in her role as chair of the Culture, Welsh Language and Communications Committee
- Suggestion: St Fagans National Museum of History Visit
- Suggestion: Lizzie Crump, Creative Learning Alliance
- Suggestion: UK industrial strategy
- Suggestion: OECD Evaluation
- Suggestion: Implications of Brexit on the cultural sector (Wiard Stark)
- Suggestion: Sophie Howe, Future Generations Commissioner for Wales re Future Generations Framework
Future What Next? meetings
- 21 Feb – 28 Mar 2018, British Council Wales
- 4 Apr – 9 May, NMW
- 16 May – 20 Jun, School of Art & Design, Cardiff Met University
- 27 Jun – xxxx?