Wednesday 3 June 2015, 8.30am-9.30am
National Theatre Wales (NB: further info at bottom of agenda)
Chair: Michelle Carwardine-Palmer
The purpose of What Next?
BROAD AIM: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
GUIDING STAR: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
WN? Cardiff site (agendas, members, etc.): http://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
WN? UK movement website: www.whatnextculture.org
Cardiff: www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and #wn2015 #wnculture
UK: www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wn2014 #wnculture
1. Welcome and Introductions
- BBC Get Creative: How to engage and the February 2016 Finale (Yvonne update – 20 mins)
3. Research and Evidence: recap of discussion held last week and updates from Sub-groups:
- Partnering with IWA on research project: Emma Evans response
- Gathering existing statistics (Rhian, Melanie, Ruth, Katrina).
- Invite Anne Kellaway from ACW to present current RFO statistics at WN? June 17
- Options for a longitudinal study around The Arts in Five Years: Andy to make personal approach to Ken Skates office to establish if the Institute of Public Policy would conduct a study?
4. Manifestos and Policies: Update from the ‘Manifesto’ working group (Ceri, Catrin R, Yvonne & Becky) on invitations to Welsh Party culture representatives in the lead up to the Assembly election.
- Conservatives, Plaid, Lib Dems: Ceri
- Greens, UKIP: David
5. Update on Capital of Culture bid/Connecting with Local Authority culture representatives:
- Invite Julie Armour from British Council to discuss Capital of Culture and her experience with Hull – 22 July
- Come up with list of each area to give to Lisa Matthews to connect us with ACW representatives (Brainstorm of contact names below)
6. Review of BBC/ACW Partnership visit last week. Should we draft a briefing document to forward to them?
- Suggestion: to create a small working group to respond (Peter Bellingham, David Evans, Michael Garvey, xxx) – to discuss?
LOCAL AUTHORITY ARTS & CULTURE CONTACTS
Caerphilly: Sharon Casey (Ruth)
Bridgend: Richard Hughes (Yvonne)
Cardiff: Chris Hess (Dave Baxter)
Newport: Steve Ward (Ruth)
Merthyr: Richard Jones (NTW?)
RCT: Strinda Davies (Anne)
Blaneau Gwent: ?? (Suzanne)
Torfaen: Sally Church (??)
Caerphilly: Kate Strudwick – Head4Arts??
Roger Lewis (ex WRU): Leading on City Region
PLEASE NOTE FUTURE HOST VENUES:
- BBC NOW 8 July – 29 July
** August break **
- WNO 9 Sept – 14 Oct
- Sherman Cymru 21 Oct – 25 Nov
- Creative Economy, Cardiff University 2 Dec – 16 Dec
Information on venue:
National Theatre Wales will be hosting What Next? through to the 1st July.
Address: 30 Castle Arcade, Cardiff, CF10 1BW. The arcade is accessible via St Mary and Castle Streets. Please head straight up the stairs upon arrival.
There is ample bicycle parking on Castle Street, right opposite the entrance to the castle, outside the Welsh Crafts shop.
It is approximately a brisk 5-minute walk from Cardiff Central Station.
The closest car park is Cardiff Westgate Street (http://www.ncp.co.uk/find-a-car-park/car-parks/cardiff-westgate-street/) – a 1-2 hour tariff is £6.50.
We also have a range of bicycles for use by staff and friends of NTW. If it would help you to borrow a bike for travel to and from What Next? please just speak to Michaela or Michelle.
Refreshments will not be provided, however Torre Coffee, at 3 Castle Street (one door down from the arcade towards St Mary’s Street) opens at 8am.
(In true NTW style there may occasionally be CAKE).
- ACW & Academi Wales event: “Margaret Wheatley: Who do we choose to be for this time?” (The Old Hall, University of Wales Trinity Saint David, Lampeter Campus, Ceredigion SA48 7ED – Friday 26 June 12.45pm-4.30pm) http://www.artscouncilofwales.org.uk/87538
- NEW! We have recently welcomed Hannah from Film Hub Wales to What Next? For more information about Film Hub Wales, their objectives, membership and partnership support opportunities, view their info booklet here.
- New Culture & Poverty document: http://gov.wales/topics/cultureandsport/tackling-poverty-through-culture/?skip=1&lang=en