What Next? Cardiff
When: Wednesday 4 October, 8:30 – 9.30am
Where: Arts Council of Wales, Bute Place, Cardiff. The meeting will be held in the Boardroom. Please go to the reception and you will be directed from there. Tea and Coffee will be available.
Chair: Lisa Matthews
The purpose of What Next?
Broad aim: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
Guiding star: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
What Next? website and social media
- What Next? Cardiff website (agendas, members etc) https://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
- What Next? UK movement website: http://www.whatnextculture.org
- What Next? Twitter: Cardiff: http://www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and #wnculture UK: http://www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wnculture
Please note: We want everyone to feel free to ask questions and share their thoughts at What Next? meetings without worrying that they’ll be quoted elsewhere or out of context. It’s generally accepted that no-one reports on the meetings, tweets anything personal or identifiable, or shares any content without checking first with the contributor.
- Welcome and introductions
- National Eisteddfod – Sioned Edwards and Elen Elias
- Valleys / Cardiff WN Meeting : 28 November @ Pontypridd
4.Future What Next? speakers/topics
- Inquiry into non-public funding of the Arts
- Arts Council of Wales Research update: Cardiff and City Region data and patterns of investment – Sandra Hicks and Chris Batsford
- Arts and Health – Sally Lewis
- CLTA discussions – Sian James and Hannah Greys
- Suggestion: St Fagans National Museum of History Visit
- Suggestion: UK wide approach from WN? re Camelot bidding to run National Lottery, other potential bidders, %s from scratch cards vs main draw (talk to Kevin Brennan MP?)
- Suggestion: Bethan Jenkins AM – in her role as chair of the Culture, Welsh Language and Communications Committee
- Suggestion: Lizzie Crump, Creative Learning Alliance
- Suggestion: poss engagement with current inquiry into music education by Culture, Welsh Language and Comms Cttee
- Suggestion: Carl Sargeant – Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children
- Suggestion: Industrial strategy
- Suggestion: Coun Huw Thomas, Leader of Cardiff Council
- Suggestion: OECD Evaluation
- Any other business
Future What Next? meetings
- 6 September – 11 October, Arts Council Wales
- 18 October – 22 November, Welsh National Opera
- 29 November – 20 December, National Theatre Wales
- 10 Jan – 14 Feb 2018, Chapter
- 21 Feb – 28 Mar 2018, British Council Wales