What Next? Cardiff
When: Wednesday 5 July, 8:30 – 9.30am
Where: Cardiff University. The meeting will be in Room 0.05 of the Bute Building, which is through the set of double doors, to the left, down the stairs and straight ahead.
Chair: Laura H Drane
The purpose of What Next?
Broad aim: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
Guiding star: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
What Next? website and social media
- What Next? Cardiff website (agendas, members etc) https://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
- What Next? UK movement website: http://www.whatnextculture.org
- What Next? Twitter: Cardiff: http://www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and #wnculture UK: http://www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wnculture
Please note: We want everyone to feel free to ask questions and share their thoughts at What Next? meetings without worrying that they’ll be quoted elsewhere or out of context. It’s generally accepted that no-one reports on the meetings, tweets anything personal or identifiable, or shares any content without checking first with the contributor.
- Welcome and introductions
- Updates from last few weeks (and to be carried over if not all done this week):
– Sophie Howe/ Future Generations Commissioner – Yvonne Murphy to lead a working party on this and email if want to be involved firstname.lastname@example.org
– update on thinking/ outline paper for Cardiff City Region (GTD/ YVJ)
– WG policy paper on Brexit and devolution: https://beta.gov.wales/brexit and CIF’s “seven red lines”: www.creativeindustriesfederation.com/…/Federation_%20Brexit%20red%20lines.pdf
– 24hr culture survey (Paul Kaynes or Laura Drane)
– others as noted in speakers/ session ideas below
- Speaker: Chris Jenkins, Commonwealth Games
- Future What Next? speakers/topics
12th – TBC/ possibly update from Creative Cardiff, ACW and city council
19th – Prof Gill Bristow, on Cardiff City Region
26th – TBC/ possibly update from Creative Cardiff, ACW and city council, and last mtg before Sept/ no mtgs in August
- Invited: Dave Horton ACE on Communities First legacy/ in Sept when at ACW (to be pencilled in by ACW when handed over from this block)
- Suggestion: update and plans for Get Creative 17-25 March 2018 and provisionally 11-19 May 2019
- Suggestion: UK wide approach from WN? re Camelot bidding to run National Lottery, other potential bidders, %s from scratch cards vs main draw (talk to Kevin Brennan MP?)
- Suggestion: session re support for and role of ACW, esp in context of Lottery reduction, WG priorities, etc
- Suggestion: Bethan Jenkins AM – in her role as chair of the Culture, Welsh Language and Communications Committee – with Lizzie Crump, Creative Learning Alliance
- Suggestion: poss engagement with current inquiry into music education by Culture, Welsh Language and Comms Cttee
- Suggestion: ACW Research team – Cardiff data and patterns of investment
- Suggestion: Carl Sargeant – Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children
- Suggestion: Industrial strategy
- Suggestion: Coun Huw Thomas, Leader of Cardiff Council
- Any other business
Future What Next? meetings
- No meetings in August
- 6 September – 11 October, Arts Council Wales
- 18 October – 22 November, Welsh National Opera
- 29 November – 20 December, National Theatre Wales
- 10 Jan – 14 Feb 2018, Chapter