Wednesday 5 November, 8.30am-9.30am
Room 0.05, Bute Building, Cardiff University (NB: further info at bottom of agenda)
Chair: Laura Drane
With thanks to Sara Pepper and Cardiff University for support with the meeting space
The purpose of What Next?
BROAD AIM: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
GUIDING STAR: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
WN? Cardiff site (agendas, members, etc): http://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
WN? UK movement website: www.whatnextculture.org
Cardiff: www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and #wn2014
UK: www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wn2014
- Welcome & introductions
- WN? updates
– People-powered ‘US Dept of Arts and Culture’ http://usdac.us/
– Our Cultural Commons (as per Robin Simpson’s talk last week): ourculturalcommons.org
– WG museums and local authority cuts review – http://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/news/27102014-welsh-government-review-to-look-at-impact-of-cuts-on-local-authority-museums-in-wales
– What Next? in Exeter: 27 November 11am – 1pm. Speaker needed – please contact Hannah Bird if you are able to make this session
– WN? communications – In January 2015 we want to make changes to the website and the way we communicate across chapters to better share information and enable more connections. We’d like your input into making sure we build something effective and useful. Please spend 5 minutes filing in this short survey: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1862210/4fa58fc3d27e
- Ideas and actions for public engagement
– Breakout group for 14 January event
– Others do ideas generation to add to this list:
- Co-chair the next six week block with Michelle and Jess (dates needed: 19 and 26 Nov)
- Use ACW’s advocacy infographics: http://www.artswales.org.uk/what-we-do/advocacy-toolkit/infographics
- Take part in WN? Grid message 4 when announced
- Offer to curate @cardiffisyours – http://cardiffisyours.wordpress.com/
- Stand as a school governor or local councillor
- Have contact with other sectors via networks (eg health, business, voluntary, local communities, education (schools, teachers, students, etc), politics, etc)
- Speak at Ignite Cardiff http://www.ignitecardiff.co.uk/
- Speak at TedX Cardiff http://tedxcardiff.co.uk/
- On the street engagement (eg the Stute)
- Online – something like #24hourculture http://www.24hourculture.co.uk/
- Invite people to join Wed group and tweet/ fb/ blog etc
- Write to or meet with councillor, AM, MP, MEP
- Support another locality in Wales to start a WN? chapter
- Offer to speak at a Shakespeare Schools Festival performance – http://www.ssf.uk.com/taking-part/region/wales
People pledge to do any of the above (or something else)
- Coming weeks/ nextsix weekblock
CO-CHAIR(S) NEEDED – 19 and 26 Nov
** NEW SIX WEEK BLOCK **
12 Nov local and national angle – Michelle
19 Nov local and national angle (chair?)
26 Nov local and national angle – speaker: Code Club (chair?)
3 Dec local and national angle – Michelle
10 Dec local and national angle, leading to public engagement (and 14 Jan planning/ prep) – Michelle
17 Dec ideas and actions for public engagement and (14 Jan planning/ prep) – Jessica
Xmas/ NY break
7 Jan – final 14 Jan planning/ prep
14 Jan – national WN? day linking with other chapters
21 Jan – standalone session; week after starting new six week block
Information on venue:
This will be our new regular space until the end of the year.
The room is to the left and down the stairs when you walk into the building.
There is bike parking next to the building and car parking (paid for) in front of the building. Bus stop also opposite Bute Building.
Refreshments won’t be provided, but there is a coffee shop as well as food and drink machines in the foyer.
More info re: access, transport, catering and coffee facilities etc here: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/estat/accessibilityinformation/cathayscampus/butebuilding/buteaccess.html
Many thanks to Sara Pepper and Cardiff University for this support.
EVENTS, NEWS, etc:
ArtFreedomWales event at Chapter, 27 Nov: http://www.indexoncensorship.org/2014/09/27th-nov-artfreedomwales-symposium/
WG Early Years consultation: http://wales.gov.uk/consultations/education/10-year-plan-for-the-early-years-childcare-and-play-workforce/?lang=en
Compass Cymru event, 24 Nov – “The Challenge for Progressives”: changing the discourse to make democracy work for you: http://www.compassonline.org.uk/action/wales/