What Next? Cardiff
When: Wednesday 8 June 2016, 8.30am – 9.30am
Chair: Laura Drane
Where: Chapter, Market Road, Cardiff CF5 1QE – in the theatre foyer upstairs/ first floor
The building will be open from 8.15am. Tea and coffee will be provided and the cafe will be open.
Getting there: http://www.chapter.org/maps-directions There are bike racks available at the front of the building. And parking at the rear and on surrounding streets. Buses run to Cowbridge Road East.
- Welcome and introductions
- Since last week
- Any reflections on meeting/ content, and other news or reports from events
- Updates from Working Groups
- 24 Hour Culture Survey
- Lead: Paul Kaynes. Probably scheduled 21/22 Oct.
- European Referendum
- Leads: Geraint Talfan Davies, Ruth Garnault, Kate Strudwick, Sarah Tanburn, Alison Woods, Yvette Vaughan Jones
- NEW: WAI/ ACW info webpage: http://www.wai.org.uk/news/7004
- No Fit State and others – live event on Queen St in Cdf 18th June
- Paper from WN? Young Vic – attached
- Cardiff/region vision and strategy
- Front page of the Echo 6 June 2016: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/why-cardiff-should-bid-europes-11429974
- Mtg with Ken Skates
- Publics and audiences – our focus for the next three weeks… See WN? aim and guiding star below
Alex Tam, Clore Leadership Fellow from Hong Kong: http://www.cloreleadership.org/person.aspx?p=420
Nick Capaldi, chief executive, Arts Council of Wales – “Making the case to government”
Any Other Business
- ACW bursaries for Clore short course and emerging leaders courses: http://www.cloreleadership.org/page.aspx?p=96 (deadline 23 June, 12 noon)
- Thangam Debbonaire – six themes she will be working on as shadow minister (UK) for arts and culture http://www.debbonaire.co.uk/art_for_art_s_sake
- Text from Phil George’s speech at CIF event at CSAD – attached
- Cities of Culture event – attached
- Future What Next? Meetings
15th June – Media: with Catrin Pascoe, Gareth Jones, Guy Odonnell
22nd June – Reflecting on six week block about audiences and publics
29 June till 27 July – Michael Garvey at BBC NOW
AUGUST – no meetings
7 Sept till 12 Oct – Cardiff School of Art & Design/ Cardiff Met at Western Ave
19 Oct till 23 Nov – Amgueddfa Cymru
30 Nov till 21 Dec – WNO
4 Jan till 8 Feb National Dance Company Wales
15 Feb till 22 March Arts & Business Cymru at Eversheds
29 March till 10 May (inc Easter break) British Council
The purpose of What Next?
Broad aim: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
Guiding star: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
What Next? Cardiff website (agendas, members etc): http://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
What Next? UK movement website: www.whatnextculture.org
What Next? Twitter:
Cardiff: www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and #wnculture
UK: www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wnculture
Please note: We want everyone to feel free to ask questions and share their thoughts at What Next? meetings without worrying that they’ll be quoted elsewhere or out of context. It’s generally accepted that no-one reports on the meetings, tweets anything personal or identifiable, or shares any content without checking first with the contributor.