What Next? Cardiff
When: Wednesday 18 May 2016, 8.30am – 9.30am
Chair: Laura Drane
Where: Chapter, Market Road, Cardiff CF5 1QE – in the Cwtch off the main cafe bar by the back door/ outside tables.
The building will be open from 8.15am. Tea and coffee will be provided and the cafe will be open.
Getting there: http://www.chapter.org/maps-directions There are bike racks available at the front of the building. And parking at the rear and on surrounding streets. Buses run to Cowbridge Road East.
- Welcome and introductions
- Updates from Working Groups
- 24 Hour Culture Survey
- Lead: Paul Kaynes Paul@ndcwales.co.uk £3000 pledged already, freelancer being sought, potential for July survey with autumn launch of findings. Still need one or two volunteers for task group.
- European Referendum
- Potential for joint event with WN?Valleys, and quite a lot of activity through Stronger In campaign via Geraint Talfan Davies email@example.com esp now Welsh elections are done.
- For info on issues, also see: http://www.artsprofessional.co.uk/magazine/eu-referendum
- Any update on Zelie/ WAI collating a list of FAQs on arts and culture?
- Cardiff: Cultural Conversation
- A vision and strategy for arts and culture for Cardiff/ capital region. Further mtg Tues 17th this week. Lead: Laura Drane firstname.lastname@example.org** including any reflections from David Powell presentation last week **
- What did WN?Cardiff ever do for us? See post below – what have we done in the last two years since we started?
4. Publics and audiences – our focus for the next five weeks… As per WN? aim and guiding star (see below)
- Any Other Business
- Creative Industries Federation event in Cardiff – at Cardiff Met/ CSAD, Wed 25th May, 00-8.00pm. Please register your place, email email@example.com This is a free event.
- Future What Next? Meetings
29 June till 27 July – Michael Garvey at BBC NOW
AUGUST no meetings
Sept onwards TBC for hosts/ chairs (poss: National Museum, Arts & Business Cymru, Cardiff Met/ CSAD, WNO, etc)
POSSIBLE FUTURE TOPICS/ SPEAKERS:
- Sophie Howe/ Future Generations Commissioner – approached by LHD already
- Neil Hanratty/ Cardiff Council – agreed/ reminder what date? Michael Garvey
- Welsh Government speaker to talk about its International Engagement Strategy – ACW to follow up
- European Capital Culture 2023/ Natasha Hale
- Cardiff Capital Region – rep us to them and vice versa
- Making the case to government/ ACW Nick Capaldi
- Commonwealth Games 2026/ Chris Jenkins
- Catrin Pascoe/ Editor Western Mail – approached by LHD
- Next WG minister/ deputy minister
The purpose of What Next?
Broad aim: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
Guiding star: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
What Next? Cardiff website (agendas, members etc): http://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
What Next? UK movement website: www.whatnextculture.org
What Next? Twitter:
Cardiff: www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and #wnculture
UK: www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wnculture
Please note: We want everyone to feel free to ask questions and share their thoughts at What Next? meetings without worrying that they’ll be quoted elsewhere or out of context. It’s generally accepted that no-one reports on the meetings, tweets anything personal or identifiable, or shares any content without checking first with the contributor.