What Next? Cardiff
When: Wednesday 27 April 2016, 8.30am – 9.30am
Host: Wales Millennium Centre
Where: Japan Room WMC, Bute Place, Cardiff CF10 5AL
Chair: Sarah Leigh, WMC
Reception will be open from 8.15am. Wales Millennium Centre will be the meeting venue for What Next? Cardiff until Wednesday 11 May 2016.
Getting there: Info here: http://www.wmc.org.uk/yourVisit/GettingHere/
There are bike racks available at the front and stage door of WMC. The nearest car park is located on Pierhead Street http://www.apcoa.co.uk/parking-in/cardiff/pierhead-street-mscp.html Buses run to Bute Place and Mermaid Quay.
- Welcome and introductions
- Updates from Working Groups
Please contact the following lead people if you would like to join any of the below working groups.
- 24 Hour Culture Survey. Lead:Paul Kaynes Paul@ndcwales.co.uk Aim to take a snapshot survey of culture in Cardiff before the summer recess. Will meet on 26th and report back on 27th April.
- European Referendum
- Culture and Europe – A public debate on the EU referendum through the lens of Culture and the Arts in mid May/ June 2016. Lead: Geraint Talfan Davies email@example.com Jointly with WN?Valleys maybe
- Also see: http://www.artsprofessional.co.uk/magazine/eu-referendum
- Zelie/ WAI – collating a list of FAQs on arts and culture
- Cardiff: Cultural Conversation Cultural Consortium. This will be as a task group to create a vision and strategy for arts and culture for Cardiff, and to propose a way forward for the proto-consortium. Lead: Laura Drane firstname.lastname@example.org
- Manifestos Update: Ceri Black/ attached two docs
- The DCMS White Paper– Laura Drane/ Lisa Matthews CLA summary here: http://www.culturallearningalliance.org.uk/news/briefing-the-culture-white-paper/ Not going to do a comparative paper at the mo, having talked to Culture Counts in Scotland (unless someone else offers!). Two other things people can read/ do themselves:Deb Mason’s Counter Culture White Paper – anyone can contribute: email her email@example.com and see attached
- GPS Alternative White Paper – done in advance of/ at the same time as DCMS one: http://www.gpsculture.co.uk/next-steps.php
- Link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/culture-white-paper and great
- Any other Business
- Thunderclap update from Louise Swindell
- CREATIVE CARDIFF at Vertical Studio all next week – join them! http://creativecardiff.org.uk/52/26-creative-cardiff-vertical-studio
- Creative Industries Federation in Cardiff
Save the date for our visit to Cardiff next month when we will be debating whether a cultural strategy is crucial to regional economic success.
The Federation will bring together a panel of expert speakers as we debate the landscape for arts and the creative industries in Wales in the wake of next month’s elections. As our first major event in Wales, this will be open to prospective members from across the arts, creative industries and cultural education as well as members. Join us for an evening of topical discussion and the opportunity to share your concerns and passions. After the event, which is supported by Barclays, attendees will have the opportunity to view Cardiff School of Art & Design’s 2016 Degree show and to meet and mingle over drinks. More details to follow very soon but click below to register your interest. This is a complimentary event.
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 Times: 6.00pm-8.00pm Venue: Cardiff School of Art & Design, Cardiff Metropolitan University, Llandaff Campus, Western Avenue, Cardiff, CF5 2YB
To register: Please register your place, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a complimentary event.
- Future What Next? meetings
- 18 May till 22 June – Laura Drane chairing at Chapter 29 June till 27 July – Michael Garvey at BBC NOW AUGUST – no meetings Sept onwards TBC for hosts/ chairs (poss: National Museum, Arts & Business Cymru, Cardiff Met/ CSAD, WNO)
POSSIBLE FUTURE TOPICS/ SPEAKERS:
- Sophie Howe/ Future Generations Commissioner – approached by LHD already
- Neil Hanratty/ Cardiff Council – agreed/ reminder what date? Michael Garvey
- Welsh Government speaker to talk about its International Engagement Strategy – ACW to follow up
- European Capital Culture 2023/ Natasha Hale
- Cardiff City Region – rep us to them and vice versa
- Making the case to government/ ACW Nick Capaldi
- Commonwealth Games 2026/ Chris Jenkins
- Catrin Pascoe/ Editor Western Mail
- Next WG minister/ deputy minister
- What/ who else? Also John Kampfner, Chief Executive of the Creative Industries Federation
- THURSDAY 26 MAY – EVENT DETAILS TO BE CONFIRMED – AT CSAD IN THE EARLY EVENING
The purpose of What Next?
Broad aim: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
Guiding star: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
What Next? Cardiff website (agendas, members etc): http://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
What Next? UK movement website: www.whatnextculture.org
What Next? Twitter:
Cardiff: www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and #wnculture
UK: www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wnculture
Please note: We want everyone to feel free to ask questions and share their thoughts at What Next? meetings without worrying that they’ll be quoted elsewhere or out of context. It’s generally accepted that no-one reports on the meetings, tweets anything personal or identifiable, or shares any content without checking first with the contributor.
What Next? Future Host Venues
6 April to 11 May – Wales Millennium Centre, Bute Place, Cardiff CF10 5AL
18 May to 22 June – Chapter Arts Centre, 40 Market Rd, Cardiff CF5 1QE
29 June to 27 July – BBC NOW, Bute Place, Cardiff CF10 5AL
August – no meetings
Sept onwards – National Museum and Arts and Business Cymru has offered to host a series of meetings but need to confirm dates.