When: Wednesday 21 September 2016, 8.30am – 9.30am
Chair: Chris Glynn
Host: Cardiff School of Art & Design, Cardiff Metropolitan University
Where: Heart Space, B Block (main CSAD building), Llandaff Campus, Western Avenue Cardiff CF5 2YB
1. Welcome and introductions
2. Upcoming dates and info sharing including:-
WN? national gathering and 24 Hour Culture Survey
3. Engaging with students
4. Any Other Business
Finding CSAD and Room B115
The Heart Space is the social space on the first floor of Cardiff School of Art and Design’s building at the Llandaff Campus. To find it walk up the wide staircase from the foyer. As you walk through the Campus, you will find B Block on the right hand side of the square. It’s accessed via the glass tube, and has a large shiny University crest on its side.
The doors will be open from 8.15am. The Box Café should be open just before the start of the meeting for you to buy refreshments.
There is bike parking around the Campus and we have been able to reserve 5 parking spaces at the very front of the Campus outside the main reception building. A limited amount of paid for car parking is also available at the front of the Campus – you need to collect a parking permit to also display in your car from the front reception desk.
For more information including on public transport links visit http://www.cardiffmet.ac.uk/about/campuses/Pages/Llandaff-Campus.aspx
Save the Date:
• Beyond Borders, 1-4pm, 1 October 2016 at Penarth Pier. Beyond Borders explores how creativity can encourage debate about asylum with local and refugee families using the shoreline, the unique language of clay and a multidisciplinary caste of creatives – musicians, storytellers, illustrators, poets, palaeontologists and representatives from the Refugee Council will come together to inform and inspire. http://natashamayo.wix.com/natasha-mayo#!beyond-borders/c16l1 Please note this is the first in a series of Beyond Borders events taking place during October.
• What Next? National Event, Monday 17 October 2017, HOME Manchester
• Cardiff Contemporary, 20 October to 19 November at venues across the city
• 24 Hour Culture Survey, 21 and 22 October 2016
• Get Creative Weekend, 7-9 April 2017
• Diffusion – Ffotogallery’s international festival of photography, 1 to 31 May 2017
• Sgwrs Events. Arts Council of Wales is looking to develop greater dialogue with the many creative professionals across Wales – those we currently work with, and those they do not. You are invited to attend one of 3 Sgwrs opportunities across Wales to give you the chance to speak to like-minded individuals and to the Arts Council of Wales. These free events will start with a series of provocations around networking in Wales and will be facilitated by Angharad Lee. Each session will end with a chance to look at what we collectively can do next. These will take place:
29th September 2016 10am-12pm – Mostyn, Llandudno
4th October 2016 10am-12pm – Volcano Building, Swansea
4th October 2016 3.30pm-5.30pm – Arad Goch, Aberystwyth
If you cannot attend one of the Sgwrs events but want to join in the discussion, why not follow Arts Council of Wales – @arts_wales_ #sgwrsgelf
• Cardiff Capital Region Growth and Competitiveness Commission Consultation – Cardiff City Deal is an agreement between the UK Government, the Welsh Government and the ten local authorities that make up the Cardiff Capital Region City Deal, and will see significant investment in the area.
As part of this the Growth and Competitiveness Commission is carrying out an in-depth review of the economy of the region and will be making recommendations on how to develop the area.
This short survey is part of that work. Everyone in the region is encouraged to respond. https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=147273892303
Priorities for the Culture, Welsh Language and Communications Committee Consultation | National Assembly for Wales
Future What Next? Meetings
7 Sept till 12 Oct – Cardiff School of Art & Design/ Cardiff Met at Western Ave
19 Oct till 23 Nov – Amgueddfa Cymru
30 Nov till 21 Dec – WNO
4 Jan till 8 Feb National Dance Company Wales
15 Feb till 22 March Arts & Business Cymru at Eversheds
29 March till 10 May (inc Easter break) British Council
The purpose of What Next?
Broad aim: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
Guiding star: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
What Next? Cardiff website (agendas, members etc): http://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
What Next? UK movement website: http://www.whatnextculture.org
Please note: We want everyone to feel free to ask questions and share their thoughts at What Next? meetings without worrying that they’ll be quoted elsewhere or out of context. It’s generally accepted that no-one reports on the meetings, tweets anything personal or identifiable, or shares any content without checking first with the contributor.